This is a sponsored post on behalf of Amazon Original Kids.
Amazon Kids newest upcoming show Niko and the Sword of Light is something we are counting the days for. We had the privilege to watch the first few episodes and my daughter just loved it! I even was very intrigued, it made me laugh, and I fell in love with the story. When Amazon asked us to create a craft inspired by Niko & The Sword of Light, my daughter right away said, let’s make a sword!
Niko & The Sword of Light starts with a plague of shadows that has swept across the land, turning innocent creatures into terrible monsters. Niko, the remaining champion is there to battle the darkness and return the world to the light. Niko is armed with his magic sword and guided by a determined Princess, young Niko journeys to the Curse-ed Volcano to face the evil sorcerer Nar Est and free his people from their magic prison. Niko & The Sword of Light premieres July 21st at Amazon Prime.
Inspired by Niko & The Sword of Light, we decided to make Niko’s actual sword of light. Using only materials we already had at home; it turned out perfect! This easy DIY glowing sword is super easy to craft along with the kiddos.
Here is what you need:
- empty gift wrap roll
- small bright white lumens flashlight that can fit inside a piece of gift wrap roll
- 1 white foam poster board
- brown paint, xacto knife and brush paint
1. hand-draw the sword blade on a white poster-board. Ours measure about 13 inches. Cut out four pieces. Peel off the white paper from the foam. This will let the light shine through.
2. In two of the pieces of the sword, cut out the inside to about 1 inch from the edge. Hot glue the cut-out pieces in the middle and one on each side. This will make the blade hallow and the light will be able to shine through the inside.
3. Hot glue the flashlight inside the gift wrap paper roll and cut in length to the same size of the flashlight.
4. Finally, cut out the hand guards of the sword. We used a thick foam board but you can use the same white poster foam board and cut out about 4 pieces on each side and hot glue them together. Once dry, hot glue to each side of the sword handle as pictured.
5. Paint the hand guard and handle in a brown color. Let Dry.
Let the fun begin.
Check out the trailer here. Niko & The Sword of Light premiers July 21st on Amazon Prime.